quarta-feira, 13 de dezembro de 2006

Evildoers

Lady e Lord Macbeth

Lady e Lord Macbeth
(esq.) vitral do Elsinore Theatre, de Albert Gerlach
(dta.) cartaz de Wiktor Sadowski: Macbeth - Verdi



"Lady Macbeth:

The raven himself is hoarse [36]
That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan
Under my battlements. Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full [40]
Of direst cruelty; make thick my blood,
Stop up th' access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
Th' effect and it! Come to my woman's breasts,
And take my milk for gall, you murd'ring ministers,
Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature's mischief. Come thick night,
And pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell,
That my keen knife see not the wound it makes, [50]
Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark,
To cry 'Hold, hold!'"


Macbeth (primeiro acto, quinta cena), William Shakespeare



36-8The... battlements, the raven itself, whose voice foretells disaster and death, would be so certain of death about to befall Duncan that it would croak itself hoarse.
38my. Should this be stressed?
38-9spirits... thoughts, evil spirits that wait to enter a human mind when that mind shows willingness to receive them.
Should Lady Macbeth pause before calling on the spirits? Should she kneel, stand or make any movement or gesture?
39mortal thoughts, (a) thoughts of death, (b) human thoughts. unsex me here. Harsh and forced.
41direst, bitterest, fiercest.
41-2make... remorse, curdle my blood so that the flow of vital spirits in it is stopped, and no messages may reach my heart to stir up pity.
43compunctious... nature, natural impulses of pity.
44fell, fierce, cruel.
44-5nor... it, nor put peace like a barrier between my purpose and its fulfilment.
46take... gall, (a) put gall in the place of my milk, or (b) drink my milk which turned to gall. Gall was thought to promote rage and malice. ministers, spirits.
48wait... mischief, further the unnatural horrors in nature.
49pall, wrap as in a corpse covering or as a robe for tragedy. dunnest, darkest.
50-2That... hold, Did Lady Macbeth intend to murder Duncan herself, or is this a fearful imagining of the murder of the sleeping Duncan in advance?
Is Macbeth's entry sudden, impressive, dignified, startling, breathless affectionate?
Should Lady Macbeth move or make any gesture—kneel or place her hands on his shoulders?

in Macbeth — The players' Shakespeare, editado por J. H. Walter (Heinemann Educational Books)